Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Valentine's

I have never been one to get into the Valentine holiday but for some reason I decided to have a little fun with it this year.   As it was predicted to be one of the coldest Valentine's Day in over 40 years I planned to spend the entire day at home with my boys.  I planned out some fun meals and things for us to do to make the day special. 

Last night I put a few Valentine Treats on the table for the boys and then crawled in bed so I would be well rested for our day of fun!
The boys were both awake before 8am, I really need to train them to sleep in on the weekends!  We lounged on the couch for a while watching cartoons and then they finally decided it was time for breakfast.  Mason of course helped me cook, he loves to help in the kitchen.  We had pancakes (complete with sprinkles and mini chocolate chips), scrambled eggs and sausage links!





After breakfast we did baths/showers and then spent some time playing with some of our favorite toys.  We even managed to squeeze in a little house cleaning too!



The morning went fast and before we knew it, it was lunch time!  We made personalized sized heart shaped pizzas!  The boys loved making these (although I think they ate more pepperonis than they put on the pizzas!


 After lunch we lounged around for a little while and then decided it was time to build some Lego's!  Mason worked on his own creation while Colton decided to work on one of the Lego set he got for Christmas.  Colton worked on that set for almost 2 hours but he got it done.  He was so proud, he did almost completely by himself (I only assisted with the couple stickers and a few other small pieces!
 
 My friend Angela decided to join us for dinner and our fun evening activites.  First thing we got her involved in was Jello Jigglers!  I haven't made these since I was little.  Mason is a jello fanatic so I figured this might be fun and I was right, he thought it was the greatest!  



 Dinner was spaghetti and meatballs!  I mean really, doesn't get much better than this does it!
 After dinner we all headed to the family room for some friendly Nintendo competition.  Angela and I used to play endless games of Tetris in college so it only seemed appropriate that we start with that game.  Colton watched the first couple rounds and then decided he was ready to challenge one of us.  He caught on quite quickly and I have feeling with a enough practice he might give me a good run for my money!  I better work on my Tetris skills, I see sleepless nights in my future.  We ended our night with some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and a movie/slumber party in the family room.  Movie of choice: Horton Hears a Who!


This Valentines Day was one of the best I have had in a long time.  We never left the house, we spent time just playing together, enjoyed not being on a schedule, soaked in many snuggles (and kisses, my Mason still loves kisses from his mama), and consumed some delicious meals and snacks.  I know that there will come a time when my boys will have their own Valentine's plans that don't involved mom being their date so I made the most of this time while I had it.  Now I sit here, blogging about our day while both boys are fast asleep on the floor in front of me.  I don't think it can get much better than this :)  Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

2 comments: