Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's Apple Time!

A couple weeks back I was talking with my Aunt LuAnn about wanting to make applesauce sometime, I had just picked a bag full of apples from my Grandpa's apple tree and was trying to decide what to do with them!  Well she suggested we meet on the farm one day and make it together which I thought would be awesome... well, today was the day!  I was excited to learn how to make Applesauce (from my aunt who was taught by my Grandma) and was also very excited to spend the day hanging out with my Grandpa!!  We met on the farm and started picking apples right away.  There were a lot more apples on those two trees than any of us expected.  Then we headed into the house to get the real fun started. Of course first step was to peel, core and cut the apples which I sucked at!  I cut my thumb after only 5 minutes and was eventually kicked off that station.  Then it was cook the apples, mash the apples and then cook and pour into jars!  Making applesauce is honestly quite easy but it is very time consuming.  We spent about 5 hours making applesauce and ended up with 14 quarts (plain and cinnamon)!  It was so much fun and I would go back up to the farm in a heartbeat to make another batch, I was thinking it would be awesome to make this a fall tradition but my Grandpa is planning to move off the farm into an in town apartment which means we may not have access to these awesome apple trees anymore!   Here are a few pictures from our fun day on the farm.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment