Sunday, October 20, 2013

Scout Camp

Colton and I went on our first Scout Camping Trip this weekend and we both had a great time!  We spent the weekend at Fred C Anderson Scout Camp in Houlton, WI.  We had 12 scouts at the camp this weekend, 1 extra sibling, 14 parents, lots of snacks, some rain, delicious meals, board games, nature hikes, lots of photos, camp fires, lots of laughs and the boys even earned a few badges along the way (Archery and BB Gun)!  Colton was excited to get to camp out with all of his friends but I should tell you that we did not tent it (thankfully as it got a little cold overnight).  We had two cabins, both equipped with kitchens (without running water), dining room with wood burning fireplacee and lots of bunk beds!  Notice I did not say bathroom... nope the latrines (outhouses) were about 100-200 feet from the cabins and it was chilly and dark going out there later at night but we all survived!   We had a well sitting in between the two cabins so we were able to get water to cook with and do dishes.  It was a great experience to say the least.  


Colton's favorite activities of the weekend were Archery and BB Gun shooting.  This was a first time for him in both those activities and he did quite well.  He hit the hanging targets 5 out of 10 times in Archery and only missed the Target once or twice at the BB Range.    I of course had a blast taking pictures of him.  One of Colton's other favorite activities was Flash Light tag... seriously, the kids ran around for a good hour playing tag last night and then when it was bed time I don't think it took long for all of them to fall asleep!



The scenery was gorgeous at the camp, despite the rain and cooler temps the colors on the trees and the hikes high above the St Croix river were amazing!  I could have spent hours walking around the camp just taking pictures.  We both had a great time on our first Scout Camping trip and we are looking forward to many many more scouting adventures to come!



 The only part I could have done without was the rain and sleet when were packing up and loading our vehicles this morning and the tick that decided attach to my leg and scare the crap out of me when I got home and was ready to enjoy my nice long hot shower!  And yes, I am completely freaked out by wood ticks and my mother in law had to come over and get the stupid thing off me (I don't care, call me a baby if you want but I really hate those things)!  

3 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend! Isaac wants to join Scouts soooo bad....I've been putting it off :( bad mom. I don;t blame you about the tick, those things are nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great weekend! I didn't know parents go along on these things. I mean, Alicia's mom, and often my dad, were at our camps but that's because they were leaders. That's fun for parents to be a part of!

    Oh, and I don't blame you for the woodtick thing, though I think I'd take it off myself if someone else wasn't right there to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this age it is still one parent per scout... that will change soon enough! However, I am the Den leader for the Wolf Den so I will continue to go with to all these fun outings!

      Delete