Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Own Home Office

So late in 2013 I applied for a work from home opportunity and was offered and accepted the position.  It took almost two months to get everything in order but I am finally working fully remote.  No more commutes, no more filling my gas tank every 5 days, no more eating out every day because I was too lazy to pack a lunch and no more getting dressed up.  I have successfully worked from home for three full weeks and it has gone much better than I imagined it would.  Thankfully we have so much technology available now that it makes staying connected with my peers and manager a lot easier.  I have attended many meetings via phone and we have video capability as well if needed (those days I might want to get up more than 10 minutes before my shift starts so I can at least look a little presentable).  I am still planning to go into the office 1-2 times per month so stay connected with my peers, friends and keep the visibility with senior leadership (I don't want them to forget that I exist and I know that is a big concern of many people who work completely remotely)!  I love working in my slippers and my dog loves having a companion home with him everyday, he has become very spoiled!  

As soon as I accepted the position we decided to turn our spare bedroom into a home office for me!  It took some serious organizing to get the room ready for me and then we painted it because I clearly had a lapse in judgement when we originally painted the room 10 years ago and we even put in new trim and a new closet door (this was the last room in the house that needed to be overhauled for our remodel)!  My office is officially finished and I think this next week at home is going to be just that much better now that I am not working in the chaos of what the room was or in the middle of a construction zone!  

Here are some before pictures of the CHAOS (it is really bad because we had already taken out the spare bed and moved it to Colton's room and I just quickly set up a temporary desk to get me through for the time being): 



My new Home Office: 




The boys love the new space as well, I have caught Mason just hanging out in the office reading books several time in the last couple days! 

1 comment: