Wednesday, April 06, 2011

If it doesn't come from nature or doesn't have a mother don't eat it!

Okay it is time to change a few things in the Berberena household. I have wanted/needed to lose some weight for quite a while now but I have always made excuses. Well enough of that, now is the time to make some changes. Last Spring we pretty much cut pop out of our lives and I feel so much better - I sleep better and have more energy than ever before (and now when I have one or two glasses of Mountain Dew it is quite a treat). That brings me to current day, I am 10 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight and I would like to lose 25 more pounds. For starts I am tracking my calories/exercise via this awesome website that my mother-in-law introduced me to - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ . I started logging on Saturday and already I have had a rude awakening. So today I made a trip to Rainbow Foods to buy us some healthy/low fat/low calorie foods... much harder than I thought and much more expensive but I know it will totally be worth it in the end. I spend an hour comparing the ingredients/calories in foods - seriously one hour and I left the store with only 2 brown bags of groceries (and $55 less in my wallet). But we are now stocked with fruits and veggies, fresh meats and some low calorie snacks. I am excited to start eating healthier and to set a good example for Colton and Mason. Although Colton is already a great eater so it won't be much of an adjustment for him - he would eat fruit all day everyday for every single meal if we let him!


Another thing I am trying to do is eliminate some of the artificial dyes from our diet. A friend of mine has a little girl who was very hyperactive and really quite the handful and she read that some of these dyes can cause hyperactivity (and cancer) so a couple months back she eliminated Red 40 and Yellow 5 from her daughters diet and she said the change in her daughter is unbelievable! There are some days that Colton is so hyper and easily becomes overwhelmed, upset, angry so I figured it can't hurt to try eliminated these artificial things from his diet and see if it helps. Don't get me wrong I know some of his actions are simply because he is 4 (I am not one of the crazy's who blames everything on something else)!! Here are a couple articles on this topic in case you are interested in reading more:





Another thing I have been reading about is clean eating which means "If it doesn't come from nature or doesn't have a mother don't eat it". I guess that means no more Hamburger Helper, Snickers or Mac & Cheese for me (insert some crying here)!! I just recently starting reading about this time of "diet" so I have a lot more research to do. For now I am gonna just focus on eating less "crap" food and eating more healthy food and really focusing on monitoring my calorie intake (I am trying to work on a 1600 calorie a day diet but I know with breastfeeding I still need to be taking in more calories - at least with tracking what I eat I am more aware of what I am eating and I try to make sure I don't waste calories on junk food)! Wish me luck! This is gonna be quite a challenge to change my eating habits but I have the best motivation ever - I want to be healthy so I can keep up with these two little guys for many many years to come!

1 comment:

  1. That picture is adorable!
    Good for you and good luck with the diet change (I'm being serious, not sarcastic)! I definitely need to work on changing my diet, too. I feel like I eat pretty healthy, but could definitely do better. I cut out most of my pop intake when I was preggers w/ Kellen (a. because I was paranoid of what the nutrisweet/aspartame could do to a growing fetus, and b. because I was terrified of having a miscarriage because of caffeine), mostly because I was paranoid, but also because I thought it would be a healthy choice to make. Now, after having him, I only have 1 pop a day, and some days, I have none. My hope is to eventually be pop free. I'm excited to check out the websites you posted...but I have a feeling some of my favs will be on there (hello, Sour Patch Kids and Sour Gummy Crawlers). Keep me up to date on your progress!

    ReplyDelete