Saturday, July 28, 2012

Doggie Day 5K

Colton and I ran our first 5K (3.125 miles) together this morning and he did awesome.  We completed the race in 55minutes and 10seconds.  Although I was started to get worried when at the 1 mile marker he said his legs were too sore and he couldn't go any further.  Needless to say that after water at the halfway point and passing the 2 mile marker the kid found some hidden energy and he finished the race hard.  He actually finished before me... he took off sprinting for the finish line about a quarter mile out and I didn't bother to keep up as I knew he couldn't keep that pace all the way to the finish but he proved me wrong... he didn't slow down at all and once people started cheering for him he pushed even harder!  I am very proud of my little man for completing his first 5K!  Also I want to thank everyone who donated to our team.... with your help we were able to reach our goal and raised $502 for Coco's Heart Animal Rescue.   We were the top fundraising team so Thank You very much for all your support and donations, we have the best friends and family!  The icing on the cake... I won a 60 minute massage which I can't wait to use (anyone who registered for the race prior to July 20th was entered into a drawing and low and behold I won)!  My sister did not run the race this year as she was hanging out with the dogs that were at the event hoping to get adopted but she did make sure to take pictures of us as we started and finished the race.  Here are our pictures from our big race!










 After the race we headed to Grandma Yvonne's house for lunch and a celebratory DQ cake!!

6 comments:

  1. Good for you two! Such a great thing to do together as mommy and son :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Colton! (and you!) And awesome that you won the drawing for a massage...that sounds heavenly right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats you two! That is awesome, maybe me and Isaac can join you next time? Mandy you are looking amazing! So stinkin' skinny girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa. And yes we would love for you and Isaac to join us next time! We will be running this one every year as it is so family friendly (and for a great organization)! I am running on Thanksgiving Morning in Cottage Grove but Colton will not be joining me on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you running in? Not sure if I could get my butt in shape by then but it would be good to try!

      Delete
    2. We are going to run the "Hale to the Bird 5K" in Cottage Grove. All money raised goes to the local foodshelf. This will be the 3rd annual. It was started in 2010 by two brothers (one who I graduated with), they started their own 5K becuase they were tired of dealing with the crowds, parking and all other issues that went along with the Turkey Trot in Minneapolis. It is a pretty small event which I am okay with. You can find them on facebook although no information is posted yet for the 2012 5K.

      Delete