Saturday, November 10, 2012

Digital Photography: Beyond the Basics

I spent over 6 hours today in a photography class trying to soak in as much as I could from Leigh Cavalier, a local photographer. I took this class with my friend Lisa, it is so nice to have someone else to talk through some of the topics with and being as we both started with the same knowledge about photography and our camera's we are the perfect match to take classes together. During this class we learned about everything from ISO, f-stop, composition, lighting, motion, position, patience, subjects, lines and so much more all while shooting in natural light which is great cause I don't want to always have to use my flash.  The first 3.5 hours were lecture style which was tough but I took as many notes as I could and then after lunch it was time for some hands on assignments.  I learn much better from doing instead of just listening/talking about doing.  It was a fun class and I learn some new little tricks about my camera and I think I feel a little more confident to take it out of automatic mode (still don't think I can shoot in full manual mode but we are getting closer to that point)!  I am looking forward to taking more classes from this same photography. Here is the website for the photography who taught our class in case you are interested in learning more about her:  http://leighcavalier.com/

This picture of me is taken looking into a display case... it only captured my reflection instead of anything in the case, I think it was kinda cool!
My friend Lisa shooting me shooting her!

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!!! I am so jealous, and I think it is just beyond cool that you two are doing this together. I hope to someday do the DSLR thing, when I feel like I have the time to dedicate to it. At which point... you two know who I'm going to. l)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's more fun with a buddy. I probably wouldn't have done as much otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I'm jealous also. I'd love to learn how to use a fancy camera :) Someday...

    ReplyDelete