Saturday, December 22, 2012

Welcome to the Family!

My cousin Kayla delivered identical twins on December 14th at 33 weeks 5 days gestational age.  They weren't sure what to expect once the boys were born but they went into it hoping for the best case scenario and I think that is exactly what they have received.  Both boys are healthy and doing great.  Isaac (baby A) was born at 4 pounds 6.5 ounces and Andrew (baby B) was 3 pounds 2 ounces.  Kayla and her husband found out around 20 weeks that their twins were monochorionic twins.  This means that they shared one placenta.  In about 10% of monochorionic twins, they also develop Selective Intrauterine Growth Restriction (SIUGR) which they were informed their twins had developed.  With this you can encounter problems because the common placenta is not shared evenly, which can result in one twin not getting enough nourishment.   They knew early on that Isaac was getting most of the nourishment and becuase of this Andrew was considerably smaller.  They were just taking it week by week hoping to carry them for as long as possible... so making it to 33 weeks and 2 days was quite the accomplishment.  I am pretty sure my cousin is some kind of super hero mom... oh did I mention that she has a two year old at home (and by two year old I mean her daughter turned 2 just two days after the twins were born - yup, for two days they had 3 kids under the age of two)!

Anyways, they had an opening for visitors this afternoon (they can only have 4 visitors a day) so my mom and I jumped at the opportunity to meet the newest members of our family!  I couldn't believe how perfect these little guys were, so dang cute and fighters through and through.  It sounds like Isaac may get to go home in the next couple days which is wonderful.  Hopefully Andrew won't be far behind either, he just needs to master his feedings!  I snapped a few pictures but didn't want to go overboard (okay I wanted to but I decided not to) - maybe once they are at home with both boys I can make a trip to their home to do a little newborn photo shoot!  Here are some pictures of the little snuggle bugs.








No comments:

Post a Comment