Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's the Diagnosis?

Last Friday I started to get a little cough but figured it would run its course and go away. Mason and I were both under the weather on Saturday - coughing constantly.... in perfect harmony half the time.  Sunday mine got worse and his seemed to be holding steady.  Monday mine got worse and his got better.  Tuesday mine got worse and he was starting to clear up.  Wednesday I felt like there was no end in site and his was pretty much gone.  Thursday morning I woke up and thought that I was dying..... I had been up all night coughing endlessly and my head was pounding from all the coughing.  I decided this wasn't something that was just going to "go away" so I made a doctor appointment.  Well the doctor cleared me of any kind of bacteria which meant antibiotics wouldn't help me.  Then she gave me the diagnosis - Adult Croup!  What the?!??!  I thought only small children could get croup - yup only children and in rare cases adults!  Why do I always feel the need to be special?  And to make it better... there is no magical medication to make me feel better.  She gave me some tips like hot showers cause the steam will help relieve the tickle and stop the coughing, use a humidifier, sleep propped up and then she said I could try Prednisone as it should help reduce the inflammation.  I figured it can't hurt so I had her send me in a prescription.  I just want to be able to walk outside without being sent into a coughing fit that ultimately tries to get my kidneys out of my body (seriously, I feel like I could start coughing up organs any moment now).  I can't get through a conversation without coughing and saying excuse me about 10 times and sleeping is horrible as I wake up several nights because of some crazy ass coughing fit.  Frankie even threatened to have me sleep on the couch cause he is scared of what might attack him in the middle of the night... apparently organs flying at him is one of his worst nightmares ;)  Ugg, here's to this going away soon so I can get back to my normal life and breathe easy again (literally)!

1 comment:

  1. Um, organs flying at me would be one of my worst nightmares as well. :)

    So sorry to hear you've been so miserable. Hope you can rest this weekend, apparently in the shower, and it clears up fast. After all, you do have your favorite meal to look forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete